The name WhatsApp is a combination of the English phrase “What’s up?“, colloquially used as a greeting (How are you?), together with the diminutive “app” from the word “application”.
In the following article we will explain what WhatsApp is, what it is for, advantages and disadvantages.
WhatsApp is one of the world’s most popular instant messaging applications, used by more than two billion users in over 180 countries. Each person is identified by his or her phone number, so only this number is needed to contact another user who uses the app.
In addition, WhatsApp supports Android, iPhone and Mac, but also has a desktop service for Mac and Windows computers (version 8 or later, 32 or 64 btis).
What it is used for
This free service offers a wide variety of communication options, such as text messages, voice notes, calls and video calls, among other functions. In addition, it has a sophisticated security system to protect the information of its users, avoiding information leaks.
It also has an extensive catalog of emojis and stickers to send, as well as the ability to customize chats by placing wallpapers and sharing location with other contacts. Its interface is intuitive, making it easy to use. Some of its features include the following:
- Ephemeral messages.
- Supports a wide variety of file formats, including PDF, DOCX, XLSX, among others.
- Allows you to send photos, videos and GIFs.
- Send broadcast messages.
- Create group chats.
- Hide read confirmations and the last connection time.
- Upload statuses, whether texts, photos, GIFs or videos.
- Dark mode.
Some of the positive aspects of WhatsApp include the following:
- Intuitive interface and easy configuration.
- Free calls and messages.
- Allows you to send various types of files.
- Group video calls.
- Fast processing speed.
As for the negative aspects of the app:
- It has many limitations in terms of interface customization.
- Reduces the quality of photos and videos when sending them.
- The limit of participants in a video call is lower than in other similar apps, such as Telegram or Signal.
Now you know what WhatsApp is, what it is used for, as well as the advantages and disadvantages of this popular application.